Now that you have a list, there are a few technical things you should know before you add contacts. No need to memorize it all right now, but just an overview of the basics can help you decide how to best manage your list.
- Every new SmartSender Email List starts out pretty empty, but our Email List Import Wizard can help you quickly upload and organize an email marketing audience.
- If your SmartSender Email List already has subscribed contacts, that’s great too. Our auto-update import feature can help you add new people to your Email List and update the information of current subscribers at the same time.
Before You Start
Here are some things to know before you begin this process.
- These instructions are for adding subscribed contacts to your list. Make sure you have the names and email addresses of people who have opted in to receive your email marketing.
- Make sure you’ve set up your SmartSender Email List.
- The only field SmartSender requires is email address. Other fields are optional, but may be necessary for personalization, segmentation, or other features.
- Date type of list fields require a specific format to import and work correctly.
- You’ll need a blank sheet in a spreadsheet program like Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets, saved or exported as a comma separated value (CSV) file. Need some help saving your spreadsheet file in CSV format before you import? Check out these CSV tips from Excel and Sheets. Or, download our sample CSV import file and replace the sample emails with your own data.
|Email List||Your Email List should be your total collection of contacts, so you should only need one overall Email List. If you still choose to create multiple Email Lists, be aware that Email Lists are independent of each other. They don’t share data or contact information. For example, if firstname.lastname@example.org is in two of your Email Lists, we count that as two people. It’s almost always best to have a single Email Lists, and use our Email Lists organization tools to separate and manage contacts.|
|Segments||A segment is a filter, or query, that you can apply in your account to sort your contacts based on data we have about them. You can filter your contacts based on things like location, tag data, group membership, signup source, campaign activity, and more.|
|Variables||Also known as list fields are where we keep your contacts’ basic information. Variables are a lot like cells in a spreadsheet. They store emails, names, birthdays, group preferences, addresses, or other information. You can use Variables to pull list field information into email campaigns, like a first name greeting.|
Prepare import file
|Import file header||Description and format requirements.|
|name||The optional display name to use for the recipient.|
|The new email address of the recipient. You must include an email address column in your import file, and only one email for each contact. Review this column for anything that might cause syntax errors, like missing information, unsupported characters, and extra spaces before or after an address.|
|subscribe||Used to specify if user is subscribed or unsubscribed from list. Use value “1” to subscribe user and value “0” to unsubscribe.|
|externalId||The user id from customer’s platform to be able manipulate lists based on it. Used as an alliace for email address.|
|phoneNumber||Addressee phone number. Should be valid E.164 phone number.|
|createdAt||This variable is reserved by system to store the date when contact was first added to Email List.|
|customStringVariable||For Variable use only latin in lowerCamelCase format, no numbers or other symbols allowed. For value no specific format required|
|customDateVariable||For Variable use only latin in lowerCamelCase format, no numbers or other symbols allowed. For value the ISO Standard year-month-date format (YYYY-MM-DD) is required.|
- Select Email List domain from the drop down menu if there are several domains in the account.
- Navigate to Email List Management page (Menu -> Contacts -> Lists).
- Select Email List
- Click “Add Contacts” button
- Browse your import file
- Click “Import” button
- Use selector to map format of your custom Variables when adding first time (select if Variable string or date format)
- Click “Save” button
- For large files it will take some time to import and update the Email List